USPS has many international service such as USPS first class mail, Register mail and Express Mail(priority mail) etc. Only USPS register mail and Express Mail can be tracked with delivery status. USPS first class Mail can NOT be tracked in China, you can not even know if it has arrived China or not.
How can I distinguish USPS 1st class Mail,Register Mail and Express Mail?
It is very simple to distinguish them through their tracking number:
- USPS first class mail: tracking number staring with L and ending with US i.e LJ123456789US LN123456789US
- USPS register mai: tracking number staring with R or CP and ending with US i.e RA123456789US CP123456789US
- USPS express mail: tracking number staring with E and ending with US i.e EE123456789US EA123456789US
Why USPS 1st class delivery status in China can not be tracked while I can do it for Register Mail and Express Mail?
Well, USPS does not have any branches in China, so USPS parcels are all delivered by China Post. USPS paid some higher price to China Post for Register Mail and Express Mail and let China Post scan and update the delivery information in both China Post and USPS tracking system.
However, USPS 1st class mail is a cheap service which does not pay scanning service cost to China post. So China Post simply deliver it as a letter , but does not scan and update the delivery status in tracking database. Therefore, none can know the actual arrival and delivery information.
Tips of shipping parcels to China
- Always use register mail or express mail to ship goods to China
- Never decline insurance when shipping parcel to China.